What Are Smoothies and Why Should You Have Them In Your Diet?
Smoothies consist of blended low sugar fruits and vegetables and are a good way to incorporate more vitamins and minerals into your diet. This is because fruits and vegetables contain plenty of healing nutrients that are more readily absorbed and digested by the body.
It is important to make it thick so you still need to chew properly before swallowing as studies show important nutrients absorb in the mouth.
By including plenty of green leafy vegetables into your diet such as spinach, kale, broccoli and cucumber and blending them with berries or other low sugar fruits, it becomes easier to get a wide variety of nutrients into the body. Smoothies also make it possible and more palatable to consume numerous vegetables simultaneously.These are critical for your immune system: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collards, and Kale.
Protein powder is also essential for recovery.
The recipes below consist of plenty of fruits and vegetables that are designed to provide a wide range of vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to health. Almond milk or coconut milk can be used to replace any dairy products that may appear in the ingredients list.
You might want to choose ingredients from the list below:
- An example is: Kale, broccoli, avocado, blueberries, ginger, lemon juice or pink grapefruit juice, apple, and a protein powder such as hemp or chia seeds (as an example).
- Another important daily food example:
- Drinking a 500ml (16 oz.) Glass of Beetroot Smoothie (made with beets) is the prime essential step that must not be missed at least 5 days per week. Studies show that eating two beets (beetroots) in a smoothie, soup, or salad every day will reduce high blood pressure within hours, improve arteries and increase stamina. Every day (or at least every other day) should maintain this benefit. Breakfast is the best time.
- Example: Beetroot Smoothie with Carrot and Celery
- 2 small beetroots (the smaller, the sweeter)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 apple
- Ginger and Pink grapefruit juice to taste.
The SOUP Alternative: One of the meals each day can be a veggie soup as per the attachment below or make up your own similar idea. Remember to include: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collards, and Kale.
SMOOTHIES ON THE GO: You can often find smoothies in cafes and restaurants, but they might not always be prepared from fresh. To safeguard your health, it’s a good idea to make your own first thing in the morning and then store it in a flask or tall chill container, to take it with you when you’re on the move.
Below are some of the foods (organic is best) that can be used in smoothies:
Bananas (in moderation)
yoghurt (Organic Sheeps Yoghurt)
Organic grapefruit juice is low sugar and the best juice to mask green flavours for those who struggle with eating their greens.